Laura at and after Cambridge

These are the trials and tribulations of the over-educated and unemployed.

Monday, January 15, 2007

This winter's weather prompted me to rent Al Gore's An Inconvienent Truth a few weeks ago. Not only did I watch it, but I also made sure my family did too. It really made me snap out of my blissful pseudo-ignorance about global warming and CO2 levels. Of course I learned all about global warming in school, but somehow it just never seemed real or terribly important. It was just another one of those things that teachers said was happening but I could never see for myself.

But now I feel like I am really seeing firsthand a change in weather. I know people say that this unseasonably warm winter is due to El Nino or something, but I just don't buy it. I am sure wind and water currents are having an impact, but there is no way this is all because of El Nino.

My genuine sadness over the weather probably merits a bit of an explanation. While I like temperate climates just as much as the next guy, I also really really love snow. It may sound strange, but part of me really believes that snow is magical and pure, and that every place looks more beautiful covered in white. This is also the first winter that I am spending home, in the area I grew up in, since I graduated high school. And some of my fondest memories of being home involve snow days: the sheer joy of waking up to a white landscape and a day off from school. I really can't imagine that thrill not being a part of life in this area, for both me and my future kids. (my family has also lived in the Princeton area for over 300 years, so chances are that I will end up settling down here)

Now I am just really worried, about the future of this planet and what life will be like in 50 years. This has gone from something that I thought about rarely to something that I think about at least once a day. I have really tried to change my lifestyle and make small improvements in the way I live.

4 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger Caryl said...

You should see the amount of rain we've been getting in the Middle East, and the infrastructure in this desert is completely ill-equipped to deal with it. Everything leaks, roads flood, people have no idea how to drive in the rain and there are accidents. I'm a total believer in climate change.

I also remember how much we used to play in the snow in Pittsburgh when I was little. By the time I went back for college it was noticably less cold and yes, less snow. Made me very sad.

I miss you Squishy, I like the frequent updating :-)

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Lizzy said...

Good points, Laura! After taking two Environmental Law classes, I've really started to digest just what a huge issue global warming is going to be and how much denial America is in, simply becuase the truth is inconvenient. Inconvenient Truth also made me realize that solving the global warming problem is totally within our reach as evidenced by the ozone!

When I studied in Vienna this summer the European students all knew so much more that the Americans about global warming. It was something they accepted as a fact and understood the sacrifices they might have to make to remedy the problem. However, too many Americans insist on debating the existence of global warming rather than focusing on solving it. Unfortunately, until America and Americans are willing to change, other countries reducing emissions doesnt have enough impact to really attack the problem. Of course, a good start for the US might be a leader who takes global warming clues from scientists instead of Michael Crichton, you know, the guy behind Jurassic Park.

Although I couldn't be happier with sunny, 70 degree weather in January in North Carolina, there's something so magical about that first snowfall around Christmastime, and I thought I could count on getting my snow-fill during my visits to WV...I hope those days are not gone.

Oh yeah, and I also have an email I've been meaning to send you for a while about law school - I'll do that soon. Hope you are doing well!

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Pearlma said...

is it cold enough for you yet???? I'm freezing!

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Pearlma said...

is it cold enough for you yet???? I'm freezing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home